Winter tends to leave our skin awfully dry and dull. A great way to retain healthy, glowing skin is by making DIY masks. There are three masks listed below that will help you get the perfect summer glow.
Masks are a simple, effortless technique to nourish our skin. One of the main benefits of DIY masks is the assurance that the ingredients are natural and non-toxic. These masks contain less than 5 ingredients all of which can be found in your kitchen or at your local grocery store. Knowing all the ingredients that go on your skin is always best!
- Pumpkin Puree: 1 cup
- Unripe Papaya (no seeds): 1 cup
- 1 Egg
Blend ingredients until the texture is smooth and creamy. Apply to your face with a brush or hands. Avoid lips and eyes. Leave your mask on for 10- 20 mins. Wipe this mask off with a damp cloth.
Tip: Do this mask before bed and wake up with glowing skin!
- Turmeric: 1 tsp
- Honey: 1 tsp
- Plain Yogurt: 1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice: 1 tsp (optional)
Mix ingredients until the texture is smooth and creamy. Apply to your face with a brush or hands. Leave your mask on for 15- 20 mins. Rinse this mask off with warm water and apply your daily moisturizer afterward.
- Chickpea Flour: 1 tbsp
- Turmeric: ¼ tsp
- Almond Oil: ¼ tsp
- Plain Yogurt: 2 tbsp
Blend ingredients until the texture is smooth and creamy. Apply to cleansed face with a brush or hands. Leave your mask on for 30 mins. Rinse this mask off with warm water.
Show us your summer glow by using the #aionaaliveglow
We would love to see how the masks worked on you ☺
What is Eucalyptus Essential Oil?
Eucalyptus is an essential oil that is obtained from fresh leaves of the eucalyptus evergreen trees, it is known for its properties to clear the mind and detoxify the body. Eucalyptus essential oil is highly effective in treating respiratory problems or fevers, speeding up the process of wounds, removes mental exhaustion, treat skin infections and is commonly used in aromatherapy, to name a few. It is also found in makeup and in your personal care products.
With many health benefits of eucalyptus, here is our favourite personal care products that contain eucalyptus ingredients:
This calming + organic body butter only contains ingredients that are safe enough to eat – high quality ingredients that work to deeply moisturize the skin to a healthy and nourished state. Organic eucalyptus and lavender essential oils give the body butter a calming, relaxing aroma.
Indulge your senses and calm your body with this minty gift set trio. It includes Jusu Body organic pulp-infused eucalyptus minty body lotion, lip balm and bar of soap.
100% natural face polish helps to exfoliate your skin with Bamboo and Sugar to give yourself a deep exfoliating experience for normal and oily skin types. Enjoy the Tea Tree and Eucayptus that gives it the fresh aroma scent.
Looking for a new natural deodorant that includes eucalyptus properties? Control your odor with Rocky Mountain Tea Tree Natural deodorant, lasts for about 6 hours.
Declutter your home and replace your toxic personal care products with one’s you’ll feel good about using. Starting with one category at a time, today, we’re sharing you some of our favourite home and personal care products that yourself and your home will love.
Did you know...organic laundry detergent does not contain chlorine, phosphates, and other artificial additive that are harmful to human health. It’s time to make the switch!
This 100% Certified Organic Soapberries, are known to clean and soften your clothes, while targeting tough dirt and hard to treat stains, with it’s saponin contained in the husk of the natural berry. Gentle enough on delicate fabrics. It is hypoallergenic and perfect for those with sensitive skin. Designed for high efficiency machines. The soapberries are low sudsing by nature.
You can’t have a laundry detergent without wool dryer balls!
Replace your dry sheets, with this handmade Organic Wool Dryer Balls.100% New Zealand Wool to naturally soften your laundry without the use of harsh chemicals. Lasts about 1000 loads.
- Safe to add 5-10 drops of essential oils to a wool ball before drying for your choice of a natural way to scent your laundry. Learn more here
It’s that simple! You went from using regular laundry detergent that contains toxic chemicals to learning 3 alternative organic laundry products, that’s good for you, your family and home.
What’s next? Are you ready to detoxify your skin care with our must-have clean beauty?
All you need in one - it's a step by step routine, including a cleanser, serum, mask, moisturizer and best of all it’s 100% natural and completely chemical free. Learn more here.
Time to switch some of your hair care products out for some natural ingredient base, we know you’ll love.
This will be your new best friend. This dry shampoo for dark hair and all shades of brunette, contains arrowroot powder, kaolin clay, and organic essential oils of grapefruit lavender and peppermint, known for its benefits for hair growth and natural cleansing properties. Say no to chemicals in your dry shampoo today.
Make your own cleaner with this home essential, non-toxic and all-natural homemade cleaning recipes printed right on the side! Work smarter, not harder.
Thank you for reading until the end, I hope you found this useful in getting started in detoxifying your home. Never too late to make the switch.
Smell. It is one of our five senses and one that should not be ignored. Scents have a strong effect on our emotions in very varied ways. A holistic approach to balancing our body and mind is through aromatherapy. By using natural essential oils, we are able to improve our psychological and psychical well-being. It is important to note that aromatherapy oils are very different from fragrance oils. Fragrance oils are synthetic compounds that are artificially created which is why it is considered toxic on the Think Dirty app.
Furthermore, the aroma from diverse sources have various effects on our body. In addition, every person experiences essential oils differently, especially if there is a memory associated with the scent. Next, there are a few ways to disperse aromatherapy either through inhalation or absorption into the skin. Make sure to not place undiluted oil directly on the skin.
Essential oils can be blended together to create a new aroma and to combat multiple concerns. The following below is a basic guide to help determine the best aroma for your emotional well-being.
Scents to Alleviate Anger: Chamomile, Jasmine, Neroli, Orange, Patchouli, Petitgrain, Palo Santo, Roman Chamomile, Rose, Vetiver, and Ylang-ylang.
Scents to Relieve Anxiety: Bergamot, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Cypress, Frankincense, Hyssop, Lavender, Marjoram, Myrrh, Neroli, Orange, Peach, Rose, Rose Geranium and Violet Leaf.
Scents to Increase Confidence: Bay Laurel, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Patchouli and Sandalwood.
Scents to Ease Depression: Bergamot, Clary Sage, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lavender, Lemon, Lemon Balm, Lemon Verbena, Neroli, Orange, Petitgrain, Rose Geranium, Sandalwood, Tangerine and Ylang-ylang.
Scents to Promote Happiness and Peace: Bergamot, Frankincense, Geranium, Grapefruit, Lemon, Neroil, Orange, Palo Santo, Rose, Sandalwood, Ylang-ylang
Scents to Invigorate and Overcome Fatigue: Angelica, Benzoin, Camphor, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Clove Basil, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Lemon, Peppermint, Pine, Sage and Spiced Apple.
Scents to Deal with Stress: Bergamot, Chamomile, Cinnamon, Cloves, Frankincense, Lavender, Lemon, Marjoram, Myrrh, Neroli, Nutmeg, Orange, Petitgrain, Rose, Sandalwood, Sweet Melissa, Valerian, Vanilla, Violet, and Ylang-ylang.
We all know that there are several recipes out there for eating our pumpkins after October 31st. These include classics such as pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice lattes, and roasted pumpkin seeds. However, did you know you can also incorporate pumpkins into your beauty routines? Today I will be teaching you how to make your own face mask and sugar body scrub. Raw pumpkins are full of zinc, vitamins A, C, and E, and contain natural enzymes that eat away dead skin. Not only will you smell nice but it will also rejuvenate your skin. Since both of these recipes have no preservatives, it will only last around a week, so make small batches.
Pumpkin Face Mask
5 teaspoons pumpkin puree
3 teaspoons brown sugar
splash of milk
Mix all ingredients together and apply to the face in circular motions, avoiding the eye area. Leave on for 20 minutes then rinse off.
Pumpkin-Sugar Body Scrub
1 cup coarse raw sugar or salt
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon sweet almond oil
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. You can add more or less sugar and oil based on personal preferences. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
We all know that excess of everything is bad. The same applies to the extensive usage of cosmetics and creams might lead you to several skin allergies and diseases. In order to minimize their manufacturing cost, companies use few harmful substances and chemicals which could lead to many skin problems. So the purpose of this article is to mention 5 toxic ingredients which must be avoided in order to save yourself from skin issues.
1. Parabens: The 1st entrant to our list is a group of chemicals known as “Parabens”. They are generally used in moisturizers and other makeup products. They are used for fragrance, preservation and few more purposes. Propyl-paraben, Isobutyl-paraben, Butyl-paraben and few more are part of this family. They are similar to a hormone, Estrogen which is a female sex hormone. Its traces have been found when experiments are done on patients suffering from Breast Cancer. Furthermore, they can penetrate easily into our skin.
2. Synthetic Colors: You might have seen FD&C or D&C on the ingredient section of few cosmetics. They are used as synthetic colors to give color to that particular cosmetic but when tested, they are found to be Carcinogen. They can cause skin irritations and lead you to few other allergies. The European Union has banned its usage in Europe.
3. Phthalates: All over the world in cosmetic industry, they are used to provide the soft touch to the cosmetic product. They are used to give the feel of smoothness. But when they were chemically analyzed, it was found that they contain those elements which could lead to the Breast Cancer. Furthermore, it could inhibit the breast development in girls and sometimes it could also cause reproductive disorders in both males and females.
4. Formaldehyde-Releasing Preservatives: Formaldehyde-Releasing Preservatives” are used in several moisturizers available in the market. They are used as a preservative in a variety of cosmetics. When consumed at a small level, they are not dangerous but could be a Human Carcinogen if your skin and body are exposed to a huge quantity.
5. Toluene: the Last member of our list is Toluene which is used as a thinner in the paint industry. Unfortunately, it’s been widely used in cosmetic industry as well. Generally, it’s the part of the hidden secret formula of that particular manufacturer but its effects on the human body are not good. It could cause respiratory disorders, nausea, and skin disorders as well. It’s also linked to immune system weakness as well as it could cause damages to the fetus inside the womb of expecting mothers.