We all know that there are several recipes out there for eating our pumpkins after October 31st. These include classics such as pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice lattes, and roasted pumpkin seeds. However, did you know you can also incorporate pumpkins into your beauty routines? Today I will be teaching you how to make your own face mask and sugar body scrub. Raw pumpkins are full of zinc, vitamins A, C, and E, and contain natural enzymes that eat away dead skin. Not only will you smell nice but it will also rejuvenate your skin. Since both of these recipes have no preservatives, it will only last around a week, so make small batches.
Pumpkin Face Mask
5 teaspoons pumpkin puree
3 teaspoons brown sugar
splash of milk
Mix all ingredients together and apply to the face in circular motions, avoiding the eye area. Leave on for 20 minutes then rinse off.
Pumpkin-Sugar Body Scrub
1 cup coarse raw sugar or salt
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon sweet almond oil
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. You can add more or less sugar and oil based on personal preferences. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
We all know that excess of everything is bad. The same applies to the extensive usage of cosmetics and creams might lead you to several skin allergies and diseases. In order to minimize their manufacturing cost, companies use few harmful substances and chemicals which could lead to many skin problems. So the purpose of this article is to mention 5 toxic ingredients which must be avoided in order to save yourself from skin issues.
1. Parabens: The 1st entrant to our list is a group of chemicals known as “Parabens”. They are generally used in moisturizers and other makeup products. They are used for fragrance, preservation and few more purposes. Propyl-paraben, Isobutyl-paraben, Butyl-paraben and few more are part of this family. They are similar to a hormone, Estrogen which is a female sex hormone. Its traces have been found when experiments are done on patients suffering from Breast Cancer. Furthermore, they can penetrate easily into our skin.
2. Synthetic Colors: You might have seen FD&C or D&C on the ingredient section of few cosmetics. They are used as synthetic colors to give color to that particular cosmetic but when tested, they are found to be Carcinogen. They can cause skin irritations and lead you to few other allergies. The European Union has banned its usage in Europe.
3. Phthalates: All over the world in cosmetic industry, they are used to provide the soft touch to the cosmetic product. They are used to give the feel of smoothness. But when they were chemically analyzed, it was found that they contain those elements which could lead to the Breast Cancer. Furthermore, it could inhibit the breast development in girls and sometimes it could also cause reproductive disorders in both males and females.
4. Formaldehyde-Releasing Preservatives: Formaldehyde-Releasing Preservatives” are used in several moisturizers available in the market. They are used as a preservative in a variety of cosmetics. When consumed at a small level, they are not dangerous but could be a Human Carcinogen if your skin and body are exposed to a huge quantity.
5. Toluene: the Last member of our list is Toluene which is used as a thinner in the paint industry. Unfortunately, it’s been widely used in cosmetic industry as well. Generally, it’s the part of the hidden secret formula of that particular manufacturer but its effects on the human body are not good. It could cause respiratory disorders, nausea, and skin disorders as well. It’s also linked to immune system weakness as well as it could cause damages to the fetus inside the womb of expecting mothers.
As we age, the skin loses its moisture that results in the loss of elasticity and firmness. Hyaluronic Acid helps to retain moisture in the skin that gets reduced due to sun damage or other skin problems. This ingredient strengthens the skin’s barrier apart from maintaining the skin moisture for the outer layers of the skin. Moreover, Hyaluronic Acid reduces inflammation and provides antioxidant defense against the free-radical damage.
Mostly, the skincare application of Hyaluronic Acid comes in the form of white fluffy powder that is known as Sodium Hyaluronic Acid. When the powder comes in contact with water, this is the stage where it becomes effective for the skin. Its composition and size enables it to hold 1000 times more water molecules to absorb moisture for the skin.
- Natural Product for the Body: The Hyaluronic Acid is produced naturally in our body and can be found in skin, cartilage and the joints. The products comprising of Hyaluronic Acid are extracted using marine biotechnology so they are safe to use and will not affect the cellular composition of the skin system at all.
- Moisture: With time, our body loses the ability to retain moisture that is caused by the production of free radicals. Due to its small molecular size, Hyaluronic Acid is an asset for the creams and serums. The small size allows for easy absorption into the skin. So, when Hyaluronic Acid serum is used, it replenishes our skin with the adequate moisture that helps to stop the aging process.
- Key nutrients get transported deep into the skin cells: Due to the penetrating power many skincare products contain excessive amount of Hyaluronic Acid. The hydrophilic nature, the acid allows for the penetration of anti-oxidant groups and collagen deep into the skin. The hydrophobic molecules act as a sealant on the skin’s surface to reduce the loss of moisture. The serums provide the best means to sooth the firmness of the skin and to reduce wrinkles as well.
There are two ways to use Hyaluronic Acid: as a topical treatment, or as a supplement.
As a Skin Serum or Topical Cream: When applied as a topical cream, Hyaluronic Acid will improve the upper layers of skin greatly. Being the major component of the skin, it will protect the skin and help to repair the tissue damage. When applied as a serum, the Hyaluronic Acid forms the permeable layer and then penetrates deep inside the skin to improve hydration and elasticity of the skin.
As a Supplement: As an oral supplement, Hyaluronic Acid plays a crucial role in stimulating collagen production in the body. The collagen is vital for the smoothness and structure of the skin. When collagen levels increase, Hyaluronic Acid makes the skin more supple which becomes resistant to fine lines and the wrinkles.
People with dry skin are aware of how difficult it is to manage such skin types. Moisturizers and other facial creams can help but relying on just that will not cut it. Flaky and rough-to- the-touch textured skin can be uncomfortable and difficult to manage, below are three things you can do to help with dry skin:
- Re-evaluate Your Routine.
Applying lotion daily is likely already part of your routine, but lotion is not the only product that matters in terms of moisture. For healthy, glowy skin, you will want to make sure that your entire regime is right for your skin type starting from the cleanser. Avoid ingredients like alcohol, or salicylic acid as it will dry out your skin. Follow with a toner and serum, they will help your moisturizer absorb into the skin. Aiona Alive offers a 4 Step Step For All Skin, suitable for dry skin to make things easier.
- Load Up On Water
Our skin is the largest organ and like all other organs, it needs water to function. Many report a healthier glow to their skin when they are fully hydrated. Though some may argue that drinking lots of water will not solve all of your dry skin problems, it can’t hurt. Besides, there are tons of other reasons for health to do so including flushing toxins from your body.
- DIY Mask
Looking to try a recipe you can make yourself? We hear a spoonful of olive oil, honey, rose water and an egg mixed together can help. Olive oil has been used as a natural moisturizer for decades by Mediterranean women who are known for having beautiful skin.
Collagen is an important protein. ‘Live’ collagen – the basis for our face and body masks – creates a wearable, breathable moisture mask, locking in Aiona Alives’ active ingredients. Topical skin care is important but if you’re looking for more youthful skin, try adding certain foods to your diet. Did you know you can boost collagen in your body naturally by eating fish, and certain vegetables? Today, we are sharing an easy recipe that is low in calories, great for breakfast or a midday snack and contains many collagen-boosting and skin-loving foods including raspberries and soy milk.
Raspberry Chia Seed Pudding Recipe
Preparation time: 5 minutes + overnight refrigeration
4 Tbsp of chia seeds
1.5 Cups of soy milk (unsweetened)
1 Handful of raspberries
1 Tbsp of honey
- Pour soy milk in either container with lid (for example: mason jar).
- Add honey to milk and stir.
- Add chia seeds.
- Put the lid on the container and shake until chia seeds and honey are evenly mixed.
- Place container and the fridge and refrigerate overnight, or for 4 hours minimum.
- Top with fresh raspberries and enjoy!
Let us know if you try this recipe! Tag us on Instagram @aionaalive
1. Protect yourself from the sun
This one sounds like a no-brainer but a shocking 90 percent of skin aging is due to the sun. Protect yourself with SPF 30 sunscreen for the face and body. Re-applying often is the key to full protection from ultraviolet (UV) radiation, which is a known human carcinogen. Don’t forget about your lips— pick up a natural lip balm with SPF if you don’t already own one.
2. Wash your face every night
Now that we are taking full advantage of the outdoors because of the warm weather, it is especially important to cleanse the day off your face. By now we know that sleeping with your makeup on is bad for your skin, but new experiments show that it can actually age the look of your skin as well. Wash the sweat, bacteria, and makeup off your face and go to bed with a clean face for fresh and healthy skin. Pro-tip: change your pillowcases often to ensure you are not resting your cheeks on built-up bacteria.
3. Drink LOTS of water
Your skin looks best when it’s fully hydrated— otherwise, skin can appear dull, and wrinkles could be more prominent. Although it is always important to load up on water, the risk of dehydration increases during the summer season. It’s best to always keep a bottle of water on hand to avoid these things that can happen to your body when dehydrated.
4. Exfoliate the dead skin away
Scrub the sunscreen and smell of adventure off your skin with an exfoliant. Once a week is enough— like with the skin on your face, you don’t want to overdo it. Top off your skin with our Elixir Mask for Body for guaranteed soft skin.
This product is perfect for "The Indulgent Mom." Check it out below.
"Mother’s Day is around the corner and we can’t wait to treat the special lady in our life! We’ve compiled a list of some of our recent favorite clean rated 0 products (yes, everything on the list is rated 0!) to give you some ideas on what to get mom this year.
The Indulgent Mom: Aiona Alive E-ternal Leave On Mask w/ Gold Collagen for All Skin Types
A photo by @kristyntysire shared by Aiona Alive (@aionaalive) on March 1, 2017.
This momma knows what’s good when it comes to the latest and greatest in skin care. She has her regime but is always searching for something better. For this mom, we recommend Aiona Alive E-ternal Leave On Mask w/ Gold Collagen for All Skin Types (or you could opt for the entire 4-Step System). Aiona Alive uses live collagen which has skin healing properties."
Republished with permission from blog.thinkdirtyapp.com
May is fast approaching and we are excited for a special day — Mother’s Day! It’s just one day of the year to show the moms in our lives some extra love and appreciation. Keep reading for some ideas on how to spend the day with your mom!
1. Spa weekend getaway
Treat mom to a weekend getaway for just the two of you. There are a million ways to indulge whether you’re going for mud masks or massages, the options are endless!
2. Breakfast in bed
Remember the days when our parents made breakfast before sending us off to school? Return the favor and make mom a breakfast to enjoy in bed. You’ll need: a tray, some fruits, homemade meal of your choice and a whole lot of love!
3. Go for a walk
You know what they say, “April showers bring May flowers”. Take some time out of your busy life to appreciate the newly blossoming flowers and fresh green grass that spring has brought with the #1 lady in your life. According to Huffington Post, taking walks in nature can help lift your mood and promote mental health!
Get started on your Mother’s Day shopping early! We recommend the Aiona Alive 4 Step All Skin Set for mom to pamper herself at home every day. Our four step regime includes a serum, cleanser, moisturizer and mask made with collagen and potent all-natural ingredients.
Think Dirty featured our President and Founder, Lisa Strong, in their Top 3 Rituals for Self-Love series last month. We are breaking it down and taking notes from Lisa today! Here are Lisa’s top three rituals for self-love:
1. 15 min energy - alignment process (quiet your mind, feel your vibration rise and write a list of things you appreciate in your life).
We have heard that the benefits of meditation are endless! Some of our favorites that Huffington Post mentions include reduced stress, improved concentration, increased happiness and self awareness. Take 15 minutes of quiet time for yourself a day and you will notice the improvements in your health overtime. Showing your gratitude goes a long way as well— start your list of things you appreciate in life and feel uplifted instantly!
2. Chinese herbology.
Herbal therapy is widely used in the Asian culture for treating and preventing illnesses. We are not experts in Chinese herbology, but here’s a list to help you get started if you are interested. Herbology is a great way to treat the skin and body from within but for external application, our not-so-secret, go-to product is the Aiona Alive E-ternal Mask for all skin types.
3. 3 x 4 km runs per week.
Regular exercise can do wonders for your health (but that’s not new information, is it?). Outdoor runs can be refreshing but while we wait for the weather in Canada to warm up, a treadmill will have to do. Don’t like running? Maybe you can try these exercises instead.
Valentine’s Day is today! While you are planning your meal for this special occasion, we have come up with this list of Valentine’s Day themed foods to eat that your skin will love.
1. Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Chocolate, and chocolate dipped strawberries are a Valentine’s Day essential. Strawberries also happen to be rich in vitamin C, which helps with collagen production. This sweet berry has many nutritional benefits that you need to know about. Dip them in dark chocolate and there’s a bonus. According to mensfitness.com, dark chocolate has properties that can actually protect your skin from harmful UV rays. Now you can indulge without (too much) guilt!
2. Raw Oysters
3. Grass Fed Beef Steak
Steak is definitely a staple for date night, and a likely meal for most Valentine’s Day meals. Like oysters, beef steaks contain a large amount of protein. An article on Prevention.com tells us that the grass fed variety in particular has a higher ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids, which helps with inflammation. Be sure to include grass fed beef stake in your Valentine’s Day menu for many great health benefits.
3 Reasons to Avoid Microbeads
Microbeads, in a nutshell, are tiny pieces of plastic that are found in personal care products ranging from body wash to toothpaste. They are added to these products to create an exfoliating effect, but the consequences don’t stop there.
1. Microbeads are extremely bad for the environment.
According to this Forbes article, these tiny beads are non-biodegradable and proven to contain many polluting chemicals— meaning that they will just sit at the bottom of the ocean forever while possibly releasing toxic chemicals. They are also damaging to the marine life as fish often mistaken it for food.
2. It can cause breakage in skin.
Our skin is more sensitive than you think! Daily or overuse of scrubs and washes containing microbeads can cause breakage in the skin. Exfoliating the skin, often in general, is too abrasive— breakage in the skin can allow for bacteria to enter!
3. There is no real benefit for your skin.
Lastly, the main reason you should stop using products with microbeads is because there’s only so much exfoliating can do. Light exfoliating with a cloth can perform the same task of removing dead skin cells from your skin without harming it. If you’re looking to brighten up your complexion, you are better off with looking to other options in skin care.
If it isn’t obvious by now, the best thing to do is stop purchasing microbead products and it’s especially important to stop washing them down our drains and into the ecosystem. Instead, use tools like a konjac sponge to remove dead skin or use a natural exfoliant like our E-Citrus Cleanser.Photo credit: Soundly Living
Looking for the perfect gift for a loved one? We've got your covered. We're offering 15% off all our products! Also, receive a free gift when you purchase all skin sets.
All of our natural products are made with plant extracts, vitamins, and essential oils.
In addition, check out our Lyoness Cashback Loyalty Program offer. Register for a free membership card and start saving today!
Make sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to keep up-to-date with our team, promotions, and savings.